Sunday, November 23, 2008

Propostion 8 and it's Christian opponents

A Christian Church put up a billboard expressing their apologies on behalf of those narrow minded Christians who voted down Proposition 8. Most people had a reaction similar to this young lady:
"Glad to know that other people out there are working to show that not all Christians are hateful and bigoted! Props to that church."-Anonymous
This statement says a lot about how Christians who are against prop 8 are perceived. Those opposed to the proposition are seen as bigoted, or unable to widen their perceptions enough to see what everyone else sees as self evident: To deny gay couples the right to marry is discrimination.
And I agree that to deny them something because of their orientation is discrimination.
But I challenge the assumption that marriage is a right.

I am a Christian, and I do not endorse Prop 8. I am neither hateful nor bigoted. People are people, regardless of orientation. All people have inalienable rights to which they are entitled. I do not agreed that marriage is something that gay couples have a right to. As my religion defines marriage, it takes place between a man and a woman. Marriage is a sacred union recognized by God, in which he dwells. A covenant. I vote this definition, to avoid the government and my religion from disagreement. If gay couples want all the legal protection that marriage affords wed couples, I will happily vote to strengthen the laws concerning civil unions. I do not wish to discriminate, but I do not see it as such. I also fear that if the legal definition and religious definition of marriage do not coincide, refusal to marry a gay couple could open up my church to legal action, under charges that they are discriminating. I hope I explained this well, I do not wish to upset anyone. Please remember that you opposition is not always hateful or ignorant, some of us simply disagree with you, respectfully. I try my best to see both sides of the issue, and keep an open mind.

No comments: